How to Grill the Perfect Steak
By Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
In this recipe, you'll learn important tips on how to grill the perfect steak. To grill the perfect steak, you have to begin with the perfect steak. That is why we are using two beautiful aged New York Strips.
SERVES 2 PREP 10 min COOK 8 - 15 min READY IN 18 - 25 min
- Remove steaks from the fridge and allow them to reach room temperature before grilling, this takes about 30-45 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, clarify butter by simmering until white milk solids rise to top.
- Using a spoon, skim top of separated butter to remove the white portion, leaving the yellow portion in the pan.
- Once the top white portion is removed, pour out the yellow butter portion into a dish, discard any white milk solids that have settled to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour clarified butter back into the pan and melt coconut oil into the butter and mix well.
- Allow oil mixture to cool while you season the steaks.
- Generously coat both sides of the steaks with kosher salt and black pepper and rub in the seasoning well.
- Preheat your grill for direct high infrared heat. Set all burners of your grill to high for the preheat, so that the grill reaches the highest searing temperatures.
- Once preheated, reduce conventional burners to low heat, leaving infrared burner on high.
- Dunk steaks thoroughly in oil mixture, allowing excess to drip off, then place over infrared burner to sear.
- Sear for about 2 minutes and crosshatch the steaks.
- Sear for another 2 minutes, then flip to the other side.
- Sear for 2 minutes, crosshatch one last time.
- After 2 more minutes, remove steaks from the grill to check internal temperature.
- Use a high quality thermometer such as my Maverick Pro-Temp Commercial Grade Food Probe Thermometer for quick accurate results.
- For medium rare, you want the steaks to rest once they reach 120°F internally.
- If your steak has not reached 120°F, allow them to cook over the conventional burners for a couple more minutes. Leave your infrared burner set to high to create an oven-like environment.
- As stated above, place steaks over low heat, close the lid, and allow them to cook for 1 minute
- Flip steaks, close the lid, and allow them to cook for 1 more minute.
- Check the internal temperature for your prefered doneness. Once reached, remove to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your perfect steak!
Items We Used To Cook The Perfect Steak