Southern Peach Cobbler Baked on a Kamado Grill
Learn how to make the perfect homemade peach cobbler for your next party, holiday dinner, or tailgate! This recipe is prepared on a Kamado Joe Grill.
PREP 30 min COOK 1 hour 30 mins READY IN 2 hours
- Cobbler filling:
- 4 lbs. fresh peaches
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 T water
- 2 T tapioca starch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 2 T unsalted butter
- Cobbler Topping:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 T unsalted butter, chilled & diced
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- Items You’ll Need:
- Cast Iron Skillet
- First we'll prepare the cobbler filling. Begin by blanching the fresh peaches in boiling water for about a minute. Then, remove the peaches and place them in an ice bath.
- Now remove the peach skins by cutting a shallow "x" across each peach, and the skin should lift off easily.
- Blend together the dark brown and granulated sugar in a bowl. Whisk in the water to form a slurry of sugar/water.
- Now pit the peaches and slice between a 1/2" to 1" thick. Place the slices into bowl with the sugar slurry. Lightly toss, thoroughly coating the peaches.
- Pour the peaches into an 8-10" cast iron skillet and place in a kamado grill (or oven) preheated to 350-400°F, set up for convection baking.
- Next prepare the starch blend. Pour the tapoica starch into a small bowl, then add: ground cinnamon, ground ginger, pinch of salt and fresh grated nutmeg. Blend this well and set aside.
- After the peaches have been cooking about 20-30 minutes, they should be ready to come off the grill. The water should be boiling and the peaches should be soft.
- Sprinkle some salt on the top of the peaches and lightly stir. Then, make a well and stir in the starch mixture. Add this slowly while stirring constantly.
- Stir in the unsalted butter and set the skillet aside.
- To prepare the topping, whisk together the granulated sugar with the brown sugar. Then add the baking powder, whole milk, heavy cream and egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl, mix some diced butter with the all purpose flour. Mix this until it is combined, it should be fairly lumpy.
- Add the flour/butter mixture to the batter and lightly stir till its combined. When done it should still be pretty lumpy.
- Pour the batter over the center of the peaches and gently turn the peaches over in 4-5 places.
- Place the skillet back into your kamado (or oven) and bake for 25-30 minutes. After about 30 minutes, rotate the cobbler.
- After an hour, the cobbler should be ready to come off the grill.
- Serve and enjoy!