Smoked Pork Ribs from Grill Master RandyShop Cajun Grills
SERVES 8-10 PREP 20 minutes COOK 2 hours
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 (2-3 pounds each) full racks pork ribs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups soaked pecan wood chips, plus more as needed
- 8 quarts lump charcoal, plus more as needed
- Combine the salt, sugar, and spices in a small bowl, using a fork to break up any chunks; set aside.
- Pat the ribs dry with paper towels and place on a work surface. Remove the thin membrane attached to the underside of the ribs by doing the following: Flip the ribs over so they’re bone-side up. Starting at the end of 1 rack, slide the tip of a paring knife between the membrane and the bone, then lift and cut through the membrane.
- Grasping the membrane with a paper towel, pull it toward the other end of the rack and completely remove it.
- Rub the ribs all over with the vegetable oil, then evenly sprinkle with the spice mix.
- Wrap ribs with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Meanwhile, soak the wood chips in a bucket of water for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 250 degrees F, using Pecan wood chips and natural lump charcoal.
- Use indirect heat and cook with the grill head down.
- Place ribs, meatier side down, on the grill away from the coals. Cook for 1 ½ hours, adding more coals and chips if needed.
- Pull ribs from grill and wrap them in heavy duty foil, place back on grill away from coals for another 30 min.
- Remove ribs from foil and place them on the over the coals. Baste the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce and allow the heat from the coals to carmelize the BBQ sauce. This should take about a few minutes on each side.
- Let rest for about 10-15 minutes and Enjoy!