Bacon-Wrapped Sausage Poppers by Brad Prose
Talk about a show-stopping appetizer for the big game, or whenever you’re hosting friends. These bacon-wrapped sausage poppers from Brad Prose explode with flavor from smoke, creamy pimento cheese, and spicy jalapenos. Prep them ahead of time and throw them in your smoker right before your friends show. Watch the fights ensue as everyone clamors for their share. Good luck and enjoy!
SERVES 6 servings PREP 10 mins COOK 45 - 60 mins READY IN 1 hr 10 mins
- For the Poppers:
- 6 full-length sausages, with casing
- 1 ½ cups Pimento Cheese (or cream cheese)
- 3 tbsp BBQGuys x Spiceology Pork Rub
- 1 sliced jalapeno
- 12 strips of bacon
- For the Pimento Cheese (makes enough for 2 servings):
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp white sugar
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated on large holes
- 4 oz jarred pimentos, drained
- Items You'll Need:
- Gas Grill
- Using a sharp knife, slice into the casing on one side of the sausage and open it up with your hands. Push the meat to the sides so it creates a little boat for the filling.
- Fill each of the sausages with some pimento cheese, just enough to fill the void. Add slices of jalapenos. Carefully wrap 2 pieces of bacon over each sausage. Tip: It helps to overlap the bacon when adding the second piece. Use toothpicks if you need to.
- Season all sides generously with the BBQGuys x Spiceology Pork Rub.
- Preheat your grill or smoker for indirect cooking at 350°F.
- Place the bacon-wrapped poppers on the grill, away from the direct coals. Add wood chunks or chips if using a charcoal grill.
- Cook them for 45-60 minutes until the bacon is crispy.
- Slice and serve immediately!