Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
For this recipe, Chef Tony teaches us how to prepare homemade pizza sauce just the way his Godfather and father taught him when he was a young boy.
SERVES 3 PREP 5 min COOK 35 min
- 1 can plum tomatoes (whole peeled - 28oz can)
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 each yellow onion, rough chopped
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place a pan over medium heat, and coat the bottom of the pan with the olive oil. Add in onions, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook onions until translucent, about 8 minutes. Once translucent, add in garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until it becomes fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook sauce for about 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld, Stir occasionally.
- After cooking for 10 minutes, add in basil and cayenne pepper.
- Reduce sauce on low heat for 15-20 minutes, until it thickens up and reaches desired consistency.
- The sauce is ready to use on your homemade pizza dough, enjoy!