Grilled Yucatan Wings with Cilantro Mojo Sauce from Chiles and Smoke
Just about everyone loves grilled hot wings, but what about a hot wing recipe with some Mexican flair? We knew our good friend Brad Prose of Chiles and Smoke would be just the guy for the job, especially with some BBQGuys x Spiceology Yucatan Rojo Rub in tow as part of the marinade. While Yucatan-native annatto seeds in the rub provide serious heat and a striking reddish-orange color for the wings, the refreshing cilantro mojo sauce brings bright, bold chiles and citrus for a vibrant complement. Add it all together, and you’ve got a quick and simple recipe that puts a delightful new twist on grilled chicken wings.
SERVES 2-4 people PREP 10 min (4 hr marinade) COOK 25 min READY IN 35 min
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 4 Tbsp orange juice
- Juice of 2 limes
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 4 Tbsp BBQGuys x Spiceology Yucatan Rojo Rub
- Pineapple slices (optional)
- For the Rub:
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 serrano chile, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp salt (with more to taste)
- Items You’ll Need:
- BBQGuys x Spiceology Yucatan Rojo Rub
- Marinate the wings by placing them in a sealed plastic bag along with the orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, and BBQGuys x Spiceology Yucatan Rojo Rub. Allow the wings to marinate for at least 4 hours, up to overnight.
- Once the wings have marinated, preheat your grill for direct grilling of at least 350°F.
- Place the wings on the grill, keeping them fairly close together so they don’t dry out. Cook the wings for about 20–25 minutes, flipping them every 5 minutes.
- While the wings are cooking, place all ingredients for the mojo sauce in a blender and blend. Taste and adjust if needed, then set aside until the wings are done.
- Remove the wings when they reach an internal temperature of at least 175°F (let it climb a little higher if you’d like your wings to be crispier).
- If you’re using the pineapple slices, place them on the grill and cook for just a few minutes after you remove the wings.
- Serve the wings with the mojo sauce (and optional pineapple slices), and enjoy!