Grilled Venison Sausage Flatbread Pizza
In this video, you will learn how to make Habanero Honey Venison Sausage Flatbread Pizza directly on the grill! This pizza is the perfect combo of sweet, spicy & salty. This recipe is great for a meal or a party appetizer.
PREP 30 minutes COOK 30 minutes MAKES 2 pizzas
- Ingredients for Pizza:
- 1-16 inch raw pizza dough
- 1 lb jalapeno venison sausage
- 8 oz goat cheese crumbles
- 1 large red onion
- 1 ½ cup arugula
- 1 tbsp Italian spice blend
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Ingredients for Habanero Honey Drizzle:
- 3-4 habanero peppers
- 1 cup local honey
- double boiler set up
- Things You'll Need:
- Pizza Oven
- Pizza Stone
- Pizza Peel
Procedure for Habanero Honey Infusion:
- Pour honey into a double boiler with water heated to medium-high heat. This will help to not burn the honey. If water boils, turn down heat slightly.
- Warm honey to 180 degrees and hold that temp.
- Add quartered and deseeded peppers to honey and steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Pull the honey from heat and strain peppers from the batch. Set aside and let cool before bottling.
Procedure for Pizza:
- The large 16 inch dough is large enough for 2 smaller pizzas. Good size for a portable grill. Be sure to apply a thin layer of flour to your work space, and a coating on the dough ball so that sticking is minimal.
- Flatten your dough to about a 12 inch diameter, then cut in half. Take one half and flatten into a rectangular shape, or whatever shape to fit the grill or pizza stone you are using. Then begin to preheat your grill to low heat.
- Once the grill is preheated, spread the dough onto the grill. Using a basting brush, brush a thin layer of oil on the dough and a lite sprinkle of Italian seasoning. Grill for 3-5 min, then flip the dough. Repeat oil & season process for the second side, and grill for another 3-5 minutes.
- Once the dough has firmed up a bit, begin to top your pizza. I like to put the goat cheese first so it acts as a base to secure the rest of the toppings. Add your sausage and red onions, and bake with lid down for 5-7 minutes for crispy crust. Cut back all cooking times by 2 minutes for a softer crust.
- Slice and Enjoy!