Grilled Alligator Sausage over Corn Grits with a Smoked Gouda Crawfish Cream Sauce from Chef Tasha
What else would you expect from the Executive Chef of a New Orleans-based catering company? Chef Tasha has made an art of Southern cooking during her time at Seasons of Louisiana, and this dish exemplifies her work in mouthwatering fashion. From the crawfish cream sauce to the grilled gator sausage — yeah, that’s a thing here — local ingredients shine through in Chef Tasha’s elevated take on classic comfort food. Like what you’re seeing (and soon to be eating)? Check out Chef Tasha’s Instagram for more of her incredible culinary craft.
PREP 10 mins COOK 15 mins READY IN 25 mins Serves 4 people
For the Corn Grits:
- 1 cup corn grits
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Butter (to taste)
- ½ lb alligator sausage
- ¼ cup diced shallots (about 1 large shallot)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
- ½ lb crawfish tails, with liquid from package
- 1 tsp blackening seasoning
- 1 cup Half and Half
- ½ cup cream of shrimp soup
- ¼ cup grated smoked gouda
- 1 tsp sambal chili paste
- ½ cup sliced green onion tops and bottoms
- ¼ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Things You'll Need:
For the Sausage:
For the Smoked Gouda Crawfish Cream Sauce:
- Prepare the corn grits according to the manufacturer’s instructions, substituting half the required water with milk. Season with salt, pepper, and butter as desired, then set aside.
- Use cast iron or your favorite grill to sear the alligator sausage until golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
- In a wide-bottomed pan, saute shallots in butter over medium heat until softened.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add garlic, crawfish tails with liquid, and blackening seasoning. Sautee for about 2 minutes to develop a caramelized color. After sauteeing, remove and reserve 2 tablespoons of crawfish tails for garnish.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in Half and Half, cream of shrimp soup, and grated gouda.
- Add chili paste, green onions, and cherry tomato halves, then simmer until thickened. This should take about 6–8 minutes.
- Serve grilled sausage over grits, topped with crawfish cream sauce. Garnish with reserved crawfish and additional finely sliced green onion tops, then enjoy!