French Toast With Jack Daniels Maple Syrup
French toast! It's the tried-and-true sidecar to alfreso brunches and breakfasts in bed from coast to coast. Today, ask yourself: can it be better? (Yes.) We challenged our resident mad scientist chef to put his trademark pizzazz on the simple, quintessential morning dish. "Are you kidding me? Absolutely!" Chef Tony laughs. "Now, just between us, here's a real trade secret: infuse it with bourbon whiskey. Jack Daniels is my go-to. Half an hour, and you'll put a big smile on just about any face. Wait — you're not writing this down, are you...?"
SERVES 6 People PREP 20 min COOK 6 min READY IN 26 min
- French Toast:
- 1 Loaf French Bread (Crusty/ Stale)
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 4 Whole Eggs
- 1 1/4 Cup Half and Half
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Honey
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Stick Melted Butter (Cooled)
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Orange Peel (grated)
- 1 Tsp Tapioca Starch (or corn starch)
- 2 Tbsp Jack Daniels™
- Maple Syrup:
- 1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Jack Daniels™
- 1 Cup Maple Syrup
- A Pinch Salt
- Slice French bread into 1-1 1/2" thick pieces.
- Melt butter and allow to cool slightly.
- Cream together the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar in a shallow wide container.
- Whisk in half and half, honey, vanilla extract, salt, and grated orange peel.
- Blend tapioca starch with two tablespoons of Jack Daniels™ and whisk into the egg mixture.
- Thoroughly dunk each slice of French bread into the custard mixture and place on a cooling rack allowing it to absorb.
- Grill on a griddle set to medium heat for two to three minutes per side (or until golden brown)
- Make the Jack Daniels™ Maple Syrup by combining sugar and Jack Daniels™ in a sauce pot over medium heat and stir until reduced by half.
- Once reduced, add Maple syrup and a pinch of salt; stir to combine.
- Cover and remove syrup from heat until ready to serve
- Top french toast with syrup, and enjoy!