Cold Smoked Salmon on the Traeger Pro
In this video, BBQ Expert Randy shows you how to make Cold Smoked Salmon and delicious Salmon Stacks on a Traeger Pro 34.Shop Traeger Pellet Grills
SERVES 8-10 PREP 48 hours COOK 90 min
- 2-3 pounds of Salmon Fillets
- 3-4 cups Kosher Salt (for cure)
- Package of Multi-Grain Crackers
- 2-4 Heirloom Tomatoes
- 2 Avocados
- 2 8oz. Packs of Cream Cheese
- 2 tsp. Poppy Seeds
- Rosemary for garnish
- Zest of lemon and lime
- Bag of Traeger Alder Wood Smoking Pellets
- Remove salmon from packaging and rinse clean.
- Run your fingers over the flesh side of the salmon fillets, feeling for the sharp ends of pin bones.
- Pull out any you find with fish tweezers or needle nose pliers.
- Pat both sides dry with paper towel.
- Use glass baking dish big enough to fit the fish fillets.
- Pour a ⅓ of the salt into dish and spread evenly to make a bottom layer.
- Lay the fillets in the dish and allow for room around the fillet so the cure comes in contact with all of the fish.
- Completely cover the fish with the rest of the salt and place in refrigerator for 48 hours.
- Using the Traeger cold smoke accessory, pre-set the grill to smoke mode.
- Ideal temperature should go no higher than 80 degrees. If needed, open the damper so that this portion of the grill being used stays as cool as possible. (Ambient temperatures may affect temperature inside grill)
- When smoker gets to temp, place salmon in grill and smoke for 1 ½ hours.
- Don’t forget to check your temp gauge often.
- When salmon is done smoking, wrap fillet in plastic and chill in the refrigerator.
- While fish is chilling, mix together softened cream cheese with the poppy seed and zest of half a lemon, then set aside.
- Medium to thin slice your tomatoes and avocado for stacking.
- Once the salmon is chilled, Lay down a row of crackers and you can begin forming the stacks.
- Order of the stack goes as: Cracker, tomato, avocado, thin sliced salmon ribbon, dollop of poppy and cheese mix, pinch of rosemary leaves.
- Then garnish with lemon and lime zest.
Cold Smoked Salmon on the Traeger Pro 34