Caveman Steak Recipe
By Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
Get your GRUB ON Caveman style! Watch as we show you how to cook Caveman steak, onions, peppers, and mushrooms directly on the charcoal in a hole dug in the ground. The result is an unbelievable all over seared crust on these steaks, this method is a must try!
PREP 1 hour 10 mins COOK 15 mins READY IN 1 hour 35 mins
- 2 shots espresso (we brewed ours in a Jura ENA Micro 9)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tsp fresh-cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard seed
- 1 Tbsp ground espresso
- Stout Beer Sauce:
- 1 cup stout beer
- 3/4 cup beef stock or broth
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Paste of one clove of garlic
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp uncooked stout
- Brew a double shot of espresso and whisk into a large mixing bowl along with your cumin and olive oil.
- Marinate your steak while you prepare the rub, mix all ingredients together in a bowl (you can give it a spin in a coffee grinder for a finer crust).
- After an hour, remove steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towels.
- Evenly coat the entire steak with your espresso and seasoning blend, rub it in firmly, and get your grill ready to cook on direct high heat.
- Sear the outside of your steak on high heat, and then turn off one burner and cook indirectly until desired internal temperature is reached.
- Allow steak to rest for at least 10 minutes while you prepare your stout reduction sauce.
- In a pan set over medium heat, pour in your beer, broth, chipotle powder and rosemary, allow to reduce by almost 3/4.
- Once reduced, add the paste of one clove of garlic and simmer for 20-30 seconds, until it begins to smell fragrant.
- Turn your burner to low and remove rosemary sprigs (if reduced too much, add a splash of water), whisk in butter until just melted and remove pan from heat.
- To complete sauce, whisk in brown sugar and uncooked stout.
- Drizzle sauce over steak or serve in a dish on the side, and ENJOY!
Read more articles by Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
Shop All Departments
BBQ Grills & Smokers
Pizza Ovens & Accessories
Fryers, Burners & Cookware
- BBQ Grills & Smokers
- Outdoor Kitchens
- BBQ Accessories
- Shop By Brand
- Outdoor Kitchen Planning
- Gas Grill Reviews
- Sales & Offers