Whole Roast Pig Recipe on the Blaze Pro
By Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
In this recipe video, we roast a whole suckling pig on the rotisserie of the Blaze Professional Gas Grill! We were inspired by the Louisiana tradition of roasting a Cochon De Lait & wanted to figure out a way to adapt it to something you can do in your outdoor kitchen.
SERVES 12-14 PREP 1 hour BRINE 4-12 hours COOK 3 hours
- Whole Suckling Pig (around 21 Lbs)
- For Trussing:
- Kitchen Twine
- Large Needle
- Stainless Steel U Bolt & Wire Clamp
- For Brine:
- 17 Quarts Ice Water (or enough to fully cover & chill big while brining
- 5 ½ Cups Kosher Salt
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 17 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 6 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 15 Leaves Fresh Sage
- 17 Cloves Diced Garlic
- 2.5 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 Lemons Sliced
- 1 Orange Sliced
- 5 Inch Piece Of Ginger Sliced
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 34 Whole Black Peppercorns
- Dry Rub For Pig:
- Kosher Salt To Taste
- Creole Seasoning Blend (enough to coat inside of pig)
- Creole Seasoning Blend:
- 1/4 Cup Roasted Garlic Powder
- 2 TBSP. Onion Powder
- 1/4 Cup Dry Basil
- 2 TBSP. Dry Thyme
- 1 TBSP. Cayenne Pepper
- 3 TBSP. Paprika
- 2 TBSP. Dry Rubbed Sage
- 1 TBSP. Dry Lemon Peel
- Drip Pan:
- 32oz. Beef Broth
- 1 Bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
- 4 Rosemary Sprigs
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Sage
- ¼ Cup Rendered Bacon Fat
- Kosher Salt To Taste
- Black Pepper To Taste
- 4 Grilled Carrots
- 3 Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- 8 Grilled Red Potatoes
- 3 Grilled Bell Peppers
- 6 Stalks Grilled Celery
- 3 Grilled Yellow Onions
- For Basting:
- 3/4 Cup Rendered Bacon Fat
- In a pot over medium heat, stir in salt & sugar until completely dissolved.
- Add remaining brine ingredients, cover & allow to steep for at least 20 minutes.
- Add a layer of ice to an ice chest large enough to soak pig in brine.
- Pour brine over ice to cool before adding pig.
- Place pig in ice chest to brine.
- Submerge pig completely in cool water & ice.
- Close ice chest & allow pig to brine for 4-12 hours.
- While waiting on pig to brine, pre grill vegetables that will be in the drip pan while the pig finishes cooking.
- Rough chop grilled vegetables & set aside in fridge for later.
- Set up your Blaze Professional 44 inch grill for cooking the pig by removing the cooking grids.
- Remove heat zone separators & middle two flame tamers. Place drip pan over the center two burners, these will not be turned on during the cook.
- Place two smoker boxes over both the far left and right burners.
- Fill smoker boxes with cherry & pecan wood chips.
- After your pig is finished brining, remove from brine & pat dry.
- Score pig skin & coat with chilled bacon fat.
- Season the inside of the pig with creole seasoning & kosher salt.
- Attach U bolt to where the middle of the pig will be on the rotisserie rod.
- Run U bolt from the inside of the ribs of the pig to the outside of the back, tighten wing nuts to secure to the rotisserie rod.
- Use a large needle & kitchen twine to sew up pig belly.
- Secure the front and back of the pig well with the rotisserie forks, tighten with pliers.
- Truss legs & snout of the pig to rotisserie rod.
- Turn far left & right burners to medium low, heating ambient temperature of the grill to 350 degrees.
- Add red wine, beef broth, bacon fat & herb sprigs to drip pan.
- Place pig on rotisserie of grill & roast with the lid closed.
- Baste every 30 minutes with liquid from drip pan.
- Once pig has roasted for about an hour and a half, turn far left and right burners to low.
- Turn on rear infrared burner & close the grill lid to allow the pig skin to crisp.
- Baste with pure bacon fat for the rest of the cook every 30 minutes.
- After about an hour and a half in front of the infrared burner, your pig might be done roasting.
- Turn off grill burners & rotisserie motors, check internal temperature.
- If the pig is golden brown & the internal temperature has reached 160 in the thickest portion of the meat, it is done.
- Close lid of the grill, leave burners off & let pig rest for 30 minutes before plating.
- Serve with grilled vegetables as a side & enjoy!
Items We Used To Roast A Pig
Shop All Departments
BBQ Grills & Smokers
Pizza Ovens & Accessories
Fryers, Burners & Cookware
- BBQ Grills & Smokers
- Outdoor Kitchens
- BBQ Accessories
- Shop By Brand
- Outdoor Kitchen Planning
- Gas Grill Reviews
- Sales & Offers