Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
By Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
For this recipe, Chef Tony teaches us how to prepare homemade pizza sauce just the way his Godfather and father taught him when he was a young boy.
PREP 5 min COOK 35 min READY IN 40 min
- 1 can plum tomatoes (whole peeled - 28oz can)
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 pinch cayenne peppers
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dired rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 each yellow onion, rough chopped
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place a pan over medium heat, and coat the bottom of the pan with the olive oil. Add in onions, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook onions until translucent, about 8 minutes. Once translucent, add in garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until it becomes fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook sauce for about 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld, Stir occasionally.
- After cooking for 10 minutes, add in basil and cayenne pepper.
- Reduce sauce on low heat for 15-20 minutes, until it thickens up and reaches desired consistency.
- The sauce is ready to use on your homemade pizza dough, enjoy!
Read more articles by Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.