How to Carve a Turkey
Follow this guide for the best practices for carving a turkey or chicken. We recommend using a good set of quality knives for this task.
- With the breast-side facing you, firmly press down on the wings until you hear a "pop".
- Slice between the joint, to cut any remaining connective tissue and skin. Repeat on second side.
- Remove the two leg sections by slicing through the skin where the leg and breast meet.
- Push down on both leg and thigh sections until you hear a "pop". Slice through any remaining skin and connective tissue.
- Slice through bottom of the breast until you reach the wishbone.
- Begin making thin slices along the outside of the breast until you reach the keel bone.
- Separate the leg and thigh by slicing right down the center until you reach the joint in the center. Slice through any remaining connective tissue.
- To slice the thighs, remove the bone that runs through the center, and cut thin slices.
- Carve the legs by slicing all cartilage and tissue on all sides, hold the bone-out end, stand the leg firm on your board and carve off the remaining meat. Repeat with the second leg.
- Your platter is now ready for the table, serve and ENJOY!
Things You May Need
Read more articles by Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.