Running A Gas LineThe decision to switch from a gas range to an electric range is usually based on user preference. If you enjoy the benefits of cooking, and can make due with the extra cost of gas-running appliances, then your next step is to asses the cost of running a gas line to your range. Here is a rough estimate on what to expect when you're planning to upgrade an electric range to a gas range.
|Cost of Gas Line Per Linear Foot||$15 - $25|
|Minimum Permit/Testing Charge||$100|
|Extending An Existing Line||$150 - $250|
|Areas With Higher Labor Costs||$800 - $1000 A Project|
How To Test For Gas LeaksIf you have recently installed a gas line on your own, then it is extremely important to test your gas line before you operate your gas range. Follow this step-by-step guide on safely detecting gas leaks in your gas line.
- Make sure all pipework is completely connected
- Turn on the gas at the meter
- Mix one half dishwashing liquid and one half water in a small glass
- Stir it well
- Dip a rag in the glass
- Dab the solution onto each and every connection
- You MUST give a 360 degree look on each connection.
- Take your time with this step and wait to see if bubbles form.(This indicates a gas leak)
- If you do not see any bubbles, you have NO LEAKS!
Installing An Electric RangeInstalling or upgrading an electric range is easy, and most homeowners can complete the task alone. Below is a helpful list of required materials for the do-it-yourself individuals. View our charge assessment and get an idea on how much hiring a professional will likely cost.
Things You Will Need
- An Electric Range
- Power cord (This comes with your range, or you can often use the old power cord from your old electric range)
- Piece of Cardboard (Slip this beneath your range feet to preserve your tile, wood or vinyl floor while you work)
- Anti-tip foot lock (Mandatory on every range since the oven door creates a subtle downward force when opened. This could tip the entire range)
|Average Material Cost||$352.75 - $454.75|
|Average Labor Cost||$67.52 - $90.52|
|Estimated Total||$420.27 - $545.27|
Back To Top