The History of the TEC GrillFor over 50 years, the Thermal Engineering Corporation (TEC) has been the world leader in infrared technology - they invented it. With over 100 radiant technology patents, TEC has applied their technology to several applications such as industrial heaters, radial tires, radiant wall ovens, etc. It wasn't until the 1980's when TEC's founder, Bill Best, took his ceramic infrared burners, placed them in his homemade grill, and discovered infrared grilling. Three decades later, these same burners are used by grill manufacturers from all over the world.
Today, TEC has a new patented infrared grilling system that no other grill company can use. It won several awards such as Hearth and Home Magazine's Vesta Award for "Best New Gas Barbecue" and "Kitchen Innovations Award" by the National Restaurant Association. This award winning technology has won the likes of world renowned Chef's, including our very own Chef Tony Matassa.
Basic FeaturesTEC grills come equipped with the most efficient, durable, and technologically advanced grilling system in the world. They are built to last and available in a variety of sizes and configurations. Also, they are 100% made in America with 304 stainless steel including body, infrared burners, and cooking grids. The push button battery ignition, self-cleaning glass surface, and removable inner trim panels make it easy to clean and operate.
- 100% Infrared Grilling - Doesn't Shrink or Dry Up Food
- Made in the United States
- Radiant Glass Panel Incinerates Drippings into a Smoky Vapor
- Remarkable Range of Cooking Intensity - Low 200 Degrees on G-Sport Model to High 800 Degrees
- Self Cleaning Surface and Removable Interior Trim Panels Simplify Cleaning
- Very Versatile - Allows Conventional Stovetop Cooking as well as Grilling
- Accommodates Wood Chips and Pellets with Ease
- Durable Housing Constructed of High Quality 304 Stainless Steel
- 304 Stainless Steel Burners and Cooking Grids Built to Last a Lifetime
- Beautiful Commercial Knobs
- Attractive Stainless Hood
- Electronic Ignition for Easy Start Up
Technological Benefits of 100% Infrared Grilling:
- Cooking with 100% infrared energy takes away the hot air associated with gas grilling and reduces moisture loss in food by up to 35%
- Ability to infuse food with an authentic charbroiled flavor without flare-ups or charring.
- Distributes heat evenly across the grilling surface leaving no hot or cold spots.
- Has the lowest turn down of any infrared grill - slow roasts or sears.
- Cooks more food than other grills because of its extremely even heating.
- Heats up quickly - ready to be used in 7 minutes
- Can be used all year long because cold weather has no effect on infrared intensity.
- Designed to be self cleaning (like an indoor cook top).
- 50% More Fuel Efficient than Traditional Convection Grills
- Everything is American made with corrosive resistant 304 stainless steel
Cooking PerformanceTo truly understand the difference between TEC grills and other grills on the market, you must first understand the way a traditional grill heats and cooks food. Traditional convection grills use rising hot air to cook which causes the food to shrink and taste dry. But, when cooking with 100% infrared energy, the meat retains 30-35% more moisture while maintaining its natural juices; keeping it tender and juicy. The enhancement of flavor results from the cooking grids being placed directly on top of the radiant glass panel. When pouring marinade on top of the food, the leftovers drip onto the glass forcing them to sizzle into steam, and rise into a smoky vapor which creates a charbroiled flavor. Also, it eliminates the need of a side burner because you can place your pots or pans on the cooking grids or radiant panels to heat your side dishes and sauces. With that said, we think TEC's cooking performance outweighs any other grill that we have previously cooked on.
Overall ImpressionThings That Stand Out:
The even heat distribution is absolutely remarkable. In order to make sure your food is cooked evenly on other grills, you must first guess where you would like to begin cooking and then guess again on where to place it to ensure continuity. The cooking intensity ranges from 200 degrees on the ">G-sport model or 450 degrees on other models to a maximum of 800 Degrees which allows for slow roasting as well as searing. After all of the cooking is done, the self cleaning mechanism on the TEC grills makes it easy to clean. You simply close the lid, set on high, wait about 6 minutes, and then sweep the ash into the back opening of the grill where it falls onto the drip tray.
As an advocate of environmentally friendly products, we appreciate the fact that TEC's infrared technology makes it the most fuel efficient and environmentally friendly grill on the market. By reaching higher temperatures the food cooks twice as fast, resulting in a 50% reduction in fuel consumption and emissions when compared to traditional convection grills.
TEC grills are 100% handcrafted and polished in Columbia, SC. They are made of high quality 12, 14, 16 and 18 gauge 304 stainless steel (except the Cherokee which is made of aluminum for portability reasons), not the lower grade 22 gauge stainless steel used in many other grill on the market today.Things That You May Want To Consider:
Although TEC offers the ability to cook in a pot or pan, you might have trouble doing so if the entire grilling surface is covered with food. To eliminate this problem, we recommend selecting a grill with enough cooking space that fits your style of cooking. Also, we find most traditional grills come with a rear burner to cook the meat on the rotisserie, the TEC doesn't. It requires the use of the main burners, which makes it impossible to place a pan beneath the meat to collect the juices from the roasting meat.
The Bottom Line:
Honestly, we can go on and on about the way this grill cooks. It doesn't compare to any other grill on the market today. And as long as TEC owns the patent to this technology, you won't find another grill like this. If every grill had this one-of-a-kind technology, it would change the world of grilling and put flavorful food in every house in America. If you are looking for a grill that produces the best tasting food, is 100% infrared, virtually flare-proof, collects 100% of the drippings, made in America, very versatile, environmentally friendly, and extremely easy to clean, then a TEC grill is the perfect grill for you.
Read more articles by Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.