Turkey Gravy Recipe
By Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
Chef Tony share his recipe for preparing the perfect turkey gravy. You can begin this as soon as you start to cook your turkey, but he usually starts in the last hour of cooking.
PREP 10 mins COOK 15 mins READY IN 25 mins
- 2 T. Olive oil
- 1/2 stick butter, diced (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup brandy or cooking wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Turkey neck and extra parts of turkey
- Vegetables & juices from roasting pan
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- First, coat the bottom of your skillet with a little olive oil and saute 3/4 of a cup of chopped onions and 1/2 cup of bell pepper. A little fresh cracked black pepper and some coarse salt to taste.
- Add the zest of one lemon or orange if you prefer and using a fork, mash it together into a rough paste drizzle in a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and blend it into a fairly smooth paste
- When your onions and peppers are almost ready, salt and pepper your turkey neck and any extra turkey parts.
- Deglaze the pan with a little brandy and add your turkey parts to the pan you just want to brown all of this up together.
- Now add about a half cup of brandy, reduce by half, lower your fire to a simmer and add two cups of chicken stock simmer for about twenty minutes just to infuse all the flavors and turn the fire off.
- Remove your pan and pour it's contents into a food processor, withholding any bones.
- Add to that, some of the vegetables and liquid from your roasting pan and process just to puree and combine everything.
- Strain this back over your pan, mashing with the back of a spoon or ladle to release all of the great flavors. Turn the burner back on and reduce the liquid by half.
- Once reduced, add salt and pepper to taste and finally turn off the fire and mount your gravy with a half stick of diced room temperature butter.
- Pour into your favorite gravy boat and enjoy!
Read more articles by Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.