Smoked Turkey on the Traeger Timberline
Chef Tony shows you his favorite roasted holiday turkey recipe on the Traeger Timberline wood fired pellet grill. I use a homemade marinade injection as an internal brine and coat the bird with a flavorful compound butter. An incredibly juicy & flavorful turkey is just a cookout away!
SERVES 8-10 PREP 45 min COOK 2 hours 30 min READY IN 3 hours 15 min
- Turkey (12 to 15 Lbs)
- 1/2 Cup Poultry Seasoning Blend
- For Injection:
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp Granulated Onion
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 Orange Zest
- ½ Each Lemon Zest
- ½ tsp Dry Thyme
- 2 tsp Dry Rosemary
- 1 tsp Dry Oregano
- 1 tbsp Coarse Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp White Pepper
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tsp Fennel Seed Powder
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter
- ¼ Cup Brandy
- Butter Paste:
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter
- ½ Bunch Fresh Chopped Parsley
- 2 tsp Fresh Chopped Rosemary
- 2 tbsp Fresh Chopped Sage
- 1 Each Minced Shallot
- 1 tbsp Poultry Seasoning Blend
- ½ Each Lemon Juice
- Roasting Pan:
- 4 Ribs Celery
- 2 each Yellow Onions
- 1 ½ Lbs New Potatoes
- 2 each Sweet Potatoes
- 1 ½ Lbs Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes
- 5 Each Carrots
- 2 Each Red/Orange Bell Peppers
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Poultry Seasoning Blend
- 32 Oz Chicken Stock
- ½ Bottle Red Wine (Cabernet)
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Poultry Seasoning Blend: (yields 1.5 cups)
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 2 tbsp basil
- 2 tbsp marjoram
- 2 tbsp rosemary
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cardamom (measure before grinding)
- 2 tsp ground fennel seeds (measure before grinding)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- In a 16 oz. mason jar, add black pepper, oregano, orange zest, lemon zest, honey, Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, granulated sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, dried rosemary, paprika, cayenne pepper, dried sage, ground coriander, fennel seed powder, dried thyme, white pepper & brandy.
- Pour hot water over spices until the jar is ¾ full.
- Seal mason jar, shake well & allow mixture to steep at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- After steeping, strain mixture through a coffee filter sitting in a strainer to make sure nothing clogs the injection needle.
- Pour the strained marinade back into the mason jar, blend in butter & olive oil with an immersion blender or whisk.
- Inject turkey in several spots of breast, leg & back to ensure the marinade is well dispersed.
- Allow the turkey to absorb the marinade injection overnight in the fridge.
- Fill your Traeger Timberline with Cherry pellets & remove the lower cooking grids.
- Place a wire cooling rack on the heat deflector of the grill & set a drip pan on top of that. This will allow the vegetable mixture to collect flavorful drippings from the Turkey while it roasts.
- In the roasting pan, add vegetables, poultry seasoning, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock & red wine.
- Set bottom grid in lower position so that it sits above the roasting pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together butter paste for the turkey.
- Coat turkey in a little olive oil & season outside with poultry seasoning blend.
- Put butter paste in multiple places under the turkey’s skin. This will allow the turkey to self baste while roasting.
- Rub remaining butter paste on the outside of the turkey & it’s time to get the turkey on the grill.
- Set the turkey on the cooking grids above the roasting pan & put temperature probe in the thickest part of the breast.
- Close the grill lid & set the target grill temperature to 325.
- Set the target probe temperature to 165F.
- Let the Turkey smoke for about 2 hours, or until the internal temperature is 160F.
- Baste with melted butter & allow it to roast until it reaches 165F. Internal.
- Turn grill off & let turkey rest with the lid closed for about 20 minutes.
- Slice, serve & enjoy!
Smoked Turkey on the Traeger Timberline Recipe
Shop All Departments
BBQ Grills & Smokers
Pizza Ovens & Accessories
Fryers, Burners & Cookware
- BBQ Grills & Smokers
- Outdoor Kitchens
- BBQ Accessories
- Shop By Brand
- Outdoor Kitchen Planning
- Gas Grill Reviews
- Sales & Offers