Smoked Gumbo on the Blaze Kamado
Smoke your Gumbo on the Blaze Kamado. This Southern Classic will leave your taste buds satisfied, with its rich flavor and savory goodness in each bite. Shop Blaze Kamado Grills
SERVES 12-14 PREP 30 min COOK 2 hours
- Light Roux:
- ¾ Cup Clarified Butter
- ¾Cup + 2 TB Bread Flour or King Arthur Gluten Free Blend
- Dark Roux:
- 2 ¼ Cup Duck Fat or Clarified Butter
- 2 ¾Cup + 2 TB Bread Flour or King Arthur Gluten Free Blend
- Everything Else:
- 3 Cups Yellow Onion Diced
- 2 Each Green Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 Each Red Bell Pepper Diced
- ¼ Cup Shallots Finely Diced
- 1 Cup Minced Celery
- ¼ Cup (About 12Cloves) Minced Garlic
- 1 Lbs Fresh Chopped Okra (Optional)
- 5 Cups Shrimp Stock
- 2 Cups Clam Juice
- 1 Bunch Fresh Chopped Parsley
- 1 TB Plus To Taste Creole Seasoning Blend Powder
- ½ tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- ¼ tsp Plus To Taste Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Dry Thyme Leaves, Ground
- 1 TB Plus To Taste Coarse Salt
- 1 tsp Plus To Taste Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp White Pepper
- 2 tsp Oregano Dry
- 1 Bunch Green Onion Sliced
- 2 tsp Louisiana or Crystal Hot Sauce
- 2 Lbs Medium Shrimp, Peeled & Deveined
- ½ Lbs Smoked Andouille (¼" Slices)
- Whole Crabs, Halved 6 Each
- 1 Lbs Crab Meat, Jumbo Lump
- 2 Lbs Crab Meat, Regular Lump
- 8.5 Cups Plus Water To Adjust Thickness
- 2 to 14 Cups White Rice, Cooked Long Grain, For Serving
- 2 TB Filé Powder (Optional) (Whisked in right before serving)
- Light your Blaze Kamado, add soaked pecan wood chips for added smoky flavor.
- On middle grate, place Blaze 4 in 1 Stainless Steel Cooking Plate.
- Place 9 quart cast iron pot on cooking plate, pour in clarified butter, gradually whisk in flour.
- Stir roux constantly for about 30 minutes, until the color of peanut butter is reached.
- Remove light roux from heat, set aside.
- Place pot back over heat, combine clarified butter and flour for dark roux.
- Stir roux for about 45 minutes, until it has reached the color of hot chocolate.
- Whisk light roux into dark roux until incorporated.
- Remove roux from heat, set aside.
- Clean your 9 quart cast iron pot, wipe with oil to prepare to brown andouille.
- Place pot back on cooking plate, brown andouille sausage, then add in onion, bell pepper, and celery.
- Sauté until tender and reduced, season with kosher salt & black pepper.
- Add in diced shallots, and garlic. Sauté until fragrant.
- Pour in shrimp stock, followed by clam juice.
- Add dry seasonings.
- Pour in water, leaving enough room for remaining ingredients in your pot.
- Add a few splashes of your favorite hot sauce.
- Grab blended roux, whisk gradually into gumbo base to incorporate.
- Add blue crabs to gumbo for last 10 minutes of boiling.
- Add sliced green onion & chopped parsley.
- During last 3 minutes of boiling, add shrimp & lump crab meat.
- Allow gumbo to finish simmering.
- Serve with rice, garnish plate with blue crab & chopped parsley.
Items Used for Smoked Gumbo
Shop All Departments
BBQ Grills & Smokers
- BBQ Grills & Smokers
- Outdoor Kitchens
- BBQ Accessories
- Outdoor Kitchen Planning
- Gas Grill Reviews