Grilled Skirt Steak and Chimichurri Sandwiches
Looking for a quick and easy way to put skirt steak to use? Try putting them on a sandwich with a tasty chimichurri sauce! In this recipe, we’ll show you how to get your steak to just the right temperature before walking you through the process for simple but delicious chimichurri.
PREP 20 min COOK 15 min READY IN 35 min
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1 each red & yellow pepper
- ½ onion
- Juice from a lime (half for marinade, half for garnish)
- 2 ½ tbsp olive oil
- Your favorite blackening seasoning
- Chimichurri Sauce:
- 1 ½ cup fresh parsley
- ¼ cup fresh oregano, or 1 ts dried
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small shallot
- ½ ts crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 ts kosher salt
- In a zip-tight bag, toss in the skirt steak along with 1 ½ tbsp of olive oil and the juice from half a lime.
- Shake the bag to make sure the steak gets coated with oil and lime juice.
- Squeeze the air out of the bag and seal. Refrigerate for 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Julienne-peel the peppers and onion, and toss in with 1 tbsp of oil to coat. Then set aside.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat, and place your griddle plate in the grill to preheat as well. To help preheat faster, shut the lid if your grill has one. Preheat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the grill and griddle are hot, sauté the peppers and onions until they soften, about 5-7 minutes. When done, pull from the grill to cool and carefully remove the griddle from grill.
- Leaving the grill hot, season the skirt steak with the blackening seasoning and grill at high heat for about 30 seconds on each side. True skirt steak is very thin, so it won’t take long to reach medium temperature. Once done, remove from grill and let rest while you prep the bread.
- Slice the loaf, making 4 individual sandwiches, then slice the skirt steak against the grain. Toast the bread before slicing if you like.
- Apply quartered portions of the steak to each sandwich. Then top with peppers and onion mix.
- To make the chimichurri sauce, by hand, finely chop the parsley, oregano, garlic, and shallot for the chimichurri sauce. Toss in a mixing bowl with the remaining chimichurri ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Drizzle a generous amount of chimichurri sauce on sandwiches, then squeeze lime juice across each one. Enjoy!