Grilled Flank Steak Nachos Recipe
By Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
These grilled nachos are perfect for the big game! Complete with steak, grilled vegetables, and a melted cheese blend and all cooked on a Lion gas grill!
PREP 30 mins COOK 15 mins READY IN 45 mins
- Tortilla chips
- Flank steak marinade:
- 1 1/2 lbs. flank steak
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 jalapeno peppers, rough chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Lime zest (1 lime)
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- Juice of a few limes (2 or 3)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup tequila
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 5 whole jalapeno peppers
- 1 red onion, thick sliced
- 4 avocados, halved & seeded
- Cheese Blend:
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar
- 8 oz. smoked Gouda
- 6 oz. Monterey Jack
- 4 oz. Parmesan
- Add the cilantro, jalepeno peppers, garlic, lime zest & coarse salt to a mortar. Squeeze in the juice of 1 lime and grind the mixture together in the mortar.
- Pour the marinade into a large, resealable bag or container. Squeeze in the juice of another lime & lemon. Then add red pepper flakes, coriander, cumin, chipotle powder, black pepper & tequila.
- Whisk the marinade together while drizzling in the the extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the flank steak to the marinade, and toss to coat. Place in the refrigerator and allow to marinade overnight or at least 4 hours.
- When you're ready to prepare the nachos, preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper & jalapenos to a grill basket or wok. Sprinkle with coarse salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season the red onion and avocados with salt & olive oil. Make sure to leave the avocados in their skin.
- Then blend the cheeses together. Add sharp cheddar, smoked Gouda, Monterey Jack & Parmesan to a bowl and blend together evenly. Set aside.
- Place your grill basket on the grill, followed by the red onions, avocados & flank steak.
- Grill the veggies until they have a nice sear & slight char.
- The tomatoes, onions, bell peppers & avocados should be done first. Remove the jalapenos from the basket and place them on the grill near your flank steak. Grill for a few more minutes.
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice over the veggies once removed from the grill.
- Once the flank steak is done to your liking, remove it from the grill. For medium-rare it should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Allow the steak to rest for 5-8 minutes and then slice very thinly across the grain.
- Roughly chop all the grilled ingredients. Now it's time to build the nachos.
- Top the tortilla chips with the cheese blend and flank steak. Then, combine the rest of the ingredients and place them across the nachos.
- Continue alternating the chips, cheese, steak and grilled veggies.
- Set the grill up for indirect cooking. Place the nachos in the center. Close the lid and heat until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with some fresh lime juice, serve and enjoy!
Wine: Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir
Beer: Vienna Lager, American Pale Ale
Read more articles by Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
Shop All Departments
BBQ Grills & Smokers
- BBQ Grills & Smokers
- Outdoor Kitchens
- BBQ Accessories
- Outdoor Kitchen Planning
- Gas Grill Reviews