Grilled Eggplant with Spicy Garlic Sauce
Whether you’re trying to eat healthier, looking for a vegetarian dish, or just weren’t able to get your hands on meat for this weekend’s cookout, this grilled eggplant recipe is a great alternative to the usual BBQ fare. The spicy garlic sauce adds another dimension of flavor to the grilled eggplant, making this a perfect dish for grillers willing to try something new.
PREP 15 min COOK 10 min READY IN 25 min Serves 2 people
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3–4 garlic cloves
- 1–2 large eggplants
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Chopped mint (for garnish)
- Preheat your grill to high heat.
- While your grill is preheating, peel the garlic cloves and make them into a paste for your sauce using a mortar and pestle, or a knife. If you use a knife, start by mincing the garlic and adding a pinch of kosher salt. The salt provides friction that helps the garlic break down into a paste. Use the side of the knife blade to smash and spread the minced garlic, then scrape it into a pile and repeat the process until the garlic takes on the consistency of a paste.
- Get the sauce together by combining the garlic paste, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and crushed red pepper flakes in a small mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly, then set aside.
- Cut the eggplant(s) into round slices about 1 inch thick. Brush each side with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Grill until each side is golden brown and almost charred, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the slices from the grill, then top them with a few spoonfuls of the spicy garlic sauce and a few pinches of chopped mint. Serve with your favorite sides, and enjoy!