Growing up, pecan pie was never a dessert that I would even give a second glance. It seemed to me that the pie had been misnamed, I thought it should have been named "Gooey sugar/syrup pie, with a soggy undercooked crust, and pecans on top pie". That is, until a good friend requested some for an upcoming holiday party. After researching and trying eight different approaches to improve my childhood memories of this dessert, I finally came up with a recipe I considered "Pecan Pie". However, it still needed to be great and memorable for my friends party, and ordinary is never memorable. The candied orange peel and bourbon were the key to making this pie a little out of the ordinary and the Jack whipped cream on top was the answer for making this dessert memorable. I hope you like this recipe, and I look forward to hearing your suggestions and comments, ENJOY!
- 1 Pie Shell
- 6 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Golden Corn Syrup
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Jack Daniels™
- 2 Cups Pecans (Toasted and Chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Candied Orange Peel (Chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Grated Orange Peel
- 1 Tsp Tapioca Starch
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbsp Confectioners Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Jack Daniels™
Procedure:Bourbon Pecan Pie:
- Begin by melting the butter in a mixing bowl set over a double boiler (Pot of Water).
- When the butter is just melted, remove the mixing bowl from the heat and whisk in the brown sugar, corn syrup, and tapioca starch.
- Now whisk in the eggs one at a time, just until incorporated.
- Place pie shell (foil lined and weighted), in a 350°F oven for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden and lightly browned.
- Return the mixing bowl to the double boiler and whisk in the fresh orange zest, candied orange peel, vanilla extract, Jack Daniels, and salt.
- Continue stirring the mixture, over double boiler, until it's internal temperature reaches 130°F; then remove.
- Stir chopped pecans into the mixture, remove your pie shell from the oven and fill with the pecan mixture.
- Place pie on the middle rack of a 325°F oven and bake for 50 – 65 minutes. Until the filling is set up and firm like jello.
- Remove pie from the oven and place on a cooling rack until it is completely set up (about 2 hours).
- Slice, top with Jack Daniels whipped cream, and ENJOY!
- Whip heavy cream until soft and billowy.
- Blend in confectioners sugar and Jack Daniels; and continue whipping until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.