Bourbon Orange Molasses BBQ Sauce Recipe
By Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
Watch Chef Tony teach you how to make your own barbecue sauce! This delicious, southern style Bourbon BBQ sauce goes great on pork, poultry, and beef.
PREP 15 mins COOK 45 mins READY IN 1 hour
- 1/2 each onion, pureed
- 4 cloves grated garlic
- 3/4 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, to saute
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp tomato paste (to desired thickness)
- 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 each oranges, freshly juiced
- 1 each grated orange zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 1-2 tsp chipotle powder (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp bourbon whiskey
- Place a sauce pan, over medium heat, and saute the onion puree, garlic paste, and bourbon (5 - 10 Minutes). If the bourbon ignites, allow it to burn for a few seconds and blow it out.
- Add the tomato paste and brown sugar to the pan and stir well, to prevent them from sticking to the bottom.
- Now add the molasses, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, salt, black pepper, chipotle powder, and cinnamon. Whisk together well, then add the parsley and orange zest, and again whisk to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a boil for 20 – 30 seconds, then turn then turn the burner to low, add the final shot of bourbon, and allow the sauce to simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. After simmering, you can adjust the consistency by adding some water to your taste and turn off the burner.
- Finally, whisk in the butter to round off the sauce.
- You can use the sauce immediately, but it will taste better after melding together for a day or two. Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for 3 – 6 weeks.
Read more articles by Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
Shop All Departments
BBQ Grills & Smokers
Pizza Ovens & Accessories
Fryers, Burners & Cookware
- BBQ Grills & Smokers
- Outdoor Kitchens
- BBQ Accessories
- Shop By Brand
- Outdoor Kitchen Planning
- Gas Grill Reviews
- Sales & Offers